Functional Foods and Beverages: In Vitro Assessment of Nutritional, Sensory and Safety Properties – eBook PDF
There are more than a few books dedicated to the assessment of food functionality but, until now, there were no complete guides emphasizing on the progressively important subject of in vitro food evaluation. With contributions from the world’s leading experts in the field, Functional Foods and Beverages, (PDF) brings readers up to speed on the advanced in “in vitro modeling”, from its physiological bases to its conception, present uses, and future developments.
Food functionality is a comprehensive concept encompassing nutritional and health functionality, food safety and toxicology, in addition to a broad range of visual and organoleptic properties of food. In vitro techniques bridge the gap between standard analytical techniques, including biochemical and chemical approaches, and in vivo human testing, which remains the ultimate translational goal for the evaluation of the functionality of food. Though it is a well- established field, in vitro food testing continues to progress toward ever more accurate predictions of in vivo properties and outcomes. Both ethical and highly economical, these approaches allow for full mechanistic insights into food functionalities and, thus, a better understanding of the interactions of food and human physiology.
- Explains in vitro evaluations of toxicants, allergens, and other specific food hazards
- Reviews the key concepts of food functionality and functionality evaluation methodologies
- Examines the challenges of linking in vitro analysis of aroma, taste, and flavor to their actual perception
- Dives into the physiology of sensory perception of food, texture, and taste as they relate to in vitro modeling
- Addresses in vitro models of the digestion and absorption of micronutrients, macronutrients, and phytonutrients
- Presents an overview of the physiology of the gastrointestinal tract, including host-microbial interactions within it
Functional Foods and Beverages: In Vitro Assessment of Nutritional, Sensory, and Safety Properties is an essential working resource for food scientists and researchers working in government facilities dedicated to tracking food safety.
NOTE: The product only includes the ebook Functional Foods and Beverages in PDF. No access codes are included.
There are no reviews yet.