Nurse Practitioner’s Business Practice and Legal Guide (6th Edition) – eBook PDF
Awarded Second Place in the 2017 AJN Book of the Year Awards in Advanced Practice Nursing!
Nurse Practitioner’s Business Practice and Legal Guide, Sixth Edition is a must-have resource for every new or current nurse practitioner (NP) that explains and analyzes the legal issues relevant to nurse practitioners. Completely updated and revised, it includes a new chapter on answering frequently asked questions from NPs. In addition, it provides the latest state-by-state laws, including regulatory developments and prosecutions of nurse practitioners, and new case analyses and lessons learned from those cases.
The Sixth Edition also offers new discussions of NP competencies, how the Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) degree relates to NPs, the differences in primary care and acute care NPs, definitions of medical bio-ethics terminology, additional malpractice cases and the lessons to learn from them, emerging issues in health policy, guidelines around prescribing opioids and controlled drugs, clinical performance measures, electronic health records, and new opportunities for NPs under the Affordable Care Act.
What’s more, it addresses emerging health law issues with analysis of key cases, including:
• Examples regarding trouble over NPs and kickbacks
• Stark Law compliance issues and related criminal cases involving nurse practitioners who are employed by hospitals
• Nurse practitioners who have encountered issues with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
• An attempted work around for the Medicare requirement that a physician order home care resulting in an NP using a physician’s name to order home care and then being prosecuted for identity theft
• An NP and physician who did not follow Medicare’s incident-to rules and both the NP and MD were charged with health care fraud
• Criminal cases against NPs who prescribed opioids or steroids either without authorization or without appropriate evaluation and monitoring
Table of contents :
Chapter 1. What Is a Nurse Practitioner?
Chapter 2. Legal Scope of Nurse Practitioner Practice
Chapter 3. State Regulation of Nurse Practitioner Practice
Chapter 4. Federal Regulation of the Nurse Practitioner Profession
Chapter 5. Prescribing
Chapter 6. Hospital Privileges
Chapter 7. Negligence and Malpractice
Chapter 8. Risk Management
Chapter 9. Reimbursement for Nurse Practitioner Services
Chapter 10. The Employed Nurse Practitioner
Chapter 11. Practice Ownership: Legal and Business Considerations for the Nurse Practitioner Owner
Chapter 12. Lawmaking and Health Policy
Chapter 13. Promoting the Profession to the Public
Chapter 14. Standards of Care for Nurse Practitioner Practice
Chapter 15. Measuring Nurse Practitioner Performance
Chapter 16. Resolving Ethical Dilemmas
Chapter 17. Strategies For Nurse Practitioners
Chapter 18. Frequently Asked Questions From NPs, Answered
NOTE: This only includes the eBook Nurse Practitioner’s Business Practice and Legal Guide 6e in PDF. No access codes come with it.