Political Ideologies: Their Origins and Impact (12th Edition) – eBook PDF
Accessible and comprehensive, Political Ideologies, 12th Edition, (PDF) follows the evolution of political thought for more than 300 years. Organized chronologically, this ebook examines every major ideology within a historical, political, economic, and social context. Leon Baradat’s dexterous prose is joined by John Phillips’ skillful updating to make sure that students get a clear understanding of how ideas influence the political realities of our time. The latest 12th edition of this beloved ebook emphasizes new developments in ideologically charged arenas including the Middle East and Islam, feminism, gay marriage, climate change, and more.
New to the Twelfth edition:
In addition to a comprehensive updating of detail, examples, and data, the subsequent items are either solely new or considerably expanded in this edition:
- The Great Recession, its reasons, and its political fallout.
- Right-wing extremism is mounting in Asia, Europe, and the United States.
- The recurrence of authoritarianism in the Developing World and Russia.
- The transfer of power from Fidel to Raoul Castro, and the reunion of the US and Cuba.
- The US tax system’s mal-distribution of wealth and its effects on the middle class and American democracy.
- The increasing strength of feminism in the Developing World, and a new focus on the same-sex marriage and gender wage gap in the West.
- The increasing salience of Islamism, the Iran nuclear deal, and the transformation of the Arab Spring to the Islamist Winter.
- Terrorism’s increasing acceptance in particular quarters, especially the spread of ISIS in the Middle East and its increasing threat to the globe via sleeper cells and lone-wolf attacks.
- The lately developed variegations in conservatism: The Tea Party movement, the expanding political importance of religious extremists, and the growing discourtesy of its extremists.
- China’s continuing economic phenomenon while maintaining a steady grip on the political system, if through official corruption, but also suffering serious environmental, social, and health problems.
- The mixed legacy of the Obama administration on health care, civil liberties, foreign policy, immigration, and especially the environment, and the rising jeopardy to the global environment posed by record-breaking global warming and pollution.
Additional ISBNs: 978-1138650053, 978-1317232285, 978-1138650046
“Now in its 12th edition, Political Ideologies: Their Origins and Impact has stood the trial of time. Logically organized and lucidly written, the ebook offers students an overview of the key types of political ideologies in the world in the past three centuries. Mainly valuable are the treatments of newer trends like environmentalism, feminism, and political Islam, in addition to the current rise of right-wing nationalism in America and elsewhere. From a pedagogical viewpoint, the inclusion of “questions for discussion” is a vital selling point, affirming the authors’ conviction that “education is the major custodian of civilization.” — Fred Dallmayr, University of Notre Dame
“In this complicated world, we live in, there is nothing as satisfying for a teacher as to when college students come to comprehend the role of ideology in their lives. Political Ideologies 12e leads the route on that journey to enlightenment. In a profoundly simple, uncomplicated manner, the ebook defines what ideologies are and what they do. Accessible and all-inclusive, it urges readers not to divorce ideologies from people’s material conditions. This new entry remains in the tradition of the prior editions, and is most welcome!” — Akwasi Osei, Delaware State University
NOTE: The product only includes Political Ideologies: Their Origins and Impact 12th edition in PDF. No access codes are included.
There are no reviews yet.